March is National Nutrition Month, and while we at Meals on Wheels San Antonio are busy taking care of our seniors, we want to make sure you are taking care of yourself too!
Below are 12 Total Body Wellness Rules to Live by from EatRight.org. And if 12 seems like a lot (it is!), just pick one or two and see what you can incorporate over the next few months to improve your overall wellness!
1. Set one realistic health and wellness goal today (but don’t promise yourself too much)! 2. Color your health happy by planning at least one meatless day into your week (think colorful vegetables).
3. Pamper your brain and fuel it well with carbohydrates like fruit, vegetables and whole grains plus beneficial fats from nuts, seeds, fish and avocado.
4. Keep your pantry, fridge and freezer free of foods with a lot of added sugar, solid fat and salt.
5. Add healthful foods into your day, such as whole grains, fruits, vegetables, fat-free or low-fat dairy products, and lean proteins.
6. Stay hydrated by drinking water instead of sugary drinks. Keep a reusable water bottle with you to always have water on hand.
7. Make physical activity a regular part of the day. Choose activities that you enjoy and can do regularly.
8. Factor in dietary fiber with vegetables, fruits, whole grains, nuts, seeds and beans, peas and lentils.
9. Sit less today – stand while working with a standing desk, pace during conference calls and walk at lunchtime.
10. Slow down your eating by taking at least 20 minutes to eat breakfast, lunch and dinner (it takes 20 minutes to feel fullness).
11. Forge ahead – don’t let a bump in the road of your healthy lifestyle get you down. Keep your goals top of mind and move forward.
12. Make time for restful sleep. Aim for 7 to 9 hours every night.