We know that everyone gets the opportunity to enjoy their share of sweet treats in October! With the holiday season approaching, you might be wondering about about some quick, healthy snack options that will keep your energy up for all of the festivities. Below are some options we think anyone can enjoy and they taste great too!
Feel like trying something new in the kitchen, or want a treat to bring to all of your holiday gatherings? Check out this recipe for Easy Homemade Hummus:
Yield: 1 ½ cups
- 1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- ¼ cup tahini
- 1 small garlic clove
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt to taste
- 2 to 3 tablespoons water
- In the bowl of a food processor, combine the tahini and lemon juice and process for 1 minute, scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl then process for 30 seconds.
- Add the olive oil, minced garlic, cumin, and a ½ teaspoon of salt to the whipped tahini and lemon juice. Process for 30 seconds, scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl then process another 30 seconds or until well blended.
- Open, drain, and rinse the chickpeas. Add half of the chickpeas to the food processor and process for 1 minute. Scrape sides and bottom of the bowl, then add remaining chickpeas and process until thick and quite smooth (approximately 1 to 2 minutes).
- If too thick or still have tiny bits of chickpea, slowly add 2 to 3 tablespoons of water until you reach the perfect consistency.
- Enjoy with fresh fruit, vegetables, or crackers!